Monday, March 5, 2012

The Privatization of Our Relationship



I have a bone to pick with you, California education system. You need to make up your mind. Seriously. You keep toying with my emotions! I'm young-- impressionable. Granted, I'm done with my undergrad now and I'm looking to get my masters, but I still need a little attention. I still care about us, you know? I still want what will be best for us.

In 1960, when you first came into existence, the idea (started by Pat Brown and Clark Kerr, the governor of the state and the president of the University of California) was that California would offer fantastic public universities-- universities that would give Californians close-to universal and almost free access to them. Some would enter community colleges for a two year vocational program (get their Associates, which I received when I graduated high school for free-- thanks government subsidies!), others would go to one of the (now 23) campuses of the California State University (CSU) system, and the best would be redirected to a UC campus. You were doing fine before I came along. But when we met, everything changed.

You let me into one of your community colleges. You gave me a good, free education. I tried to go to one of your UCs, but was lured away by a strapping, midwestern Catholic boy (University of Notre Dame), and even though I had to leave you, my heart never left. I know that you never fully lived up to your parent's expectations. You were never really free, especially at the UC level, but I'm worried about you when you start talking about privatization. In 1990, the state paid 78% the cost of educating each student, last year, it became 47%. It takes money to attract the best professors, and we all know that without your professors...well, not to be superficial, but that's kind of what our relationshp is built on.

I know that you're increasingly dependent on your business and law schools, as well as out of staters to try to make up that gap in your available funds. I just want to warn you about the dangers of this approach. Business and law schools are a gateway funding source, and I'm scared about the road you're heading down. Although this is a good short term measure, in the long run, you won't be able to sustain this model-- after the business/law schools, you'll rely more heavily on rich alumni, and I just don't know if there are enough of those to go around. This runs counter to your basic philosophy though-- as some schools get richer because of their name, and therefore, their more prestigious alumni (or is it the other way around?), others will be left forgotten to the side.

As you realize your worth (which I totally want to support you for. I'm here for you. You deserve the best.), you're slowly raising tuition, which is financially excluding a large majority of Californian families. I heard a rumor from The Economist that California now ranks 41st in the number of college degrees awarded for every 100 of its high school graduates. What's more, The Public Policy Institute (you know what a gossip they are), predicts that the state's industry will face a shortage of 1M graduates by 2025 due to the redirection of potential Californian re-investors (company-starters, inventors and tax payers).

I just wanted to let you know I'm here for you. I know that you have to be selective in order to remain competitive, and in this increasingly global world, "the best" is not synonymous with "Californian". But I would like to remind you of the good times we had-- me coming to community college classes on the weekend, or after school. Studying in the big UCI library. Enjoying the sunsets over the basketball courts behind Irvine Valley Community College. I felt something then-- you promised me that there'd be subsidized education then. I know I was a little of an exception, still being in high school, but if that's what young love means--then damnit I don't want to ever get older! You made me believe in educational opportunity-- nay, not just opportunity-- equality! A possibility that any kid-- no matter how much money their parents had, or whether they had parents at all--could make something of themselves because there would always be options for them.

I know we've drifted, and I've been with others since you. But you were my first true love. You gave me something to believe in. Just take care of yourself. I worry sometimes. And KIT, DBAS!

BFF 4-Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment