Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Hotel Points. Actually...Just Hotel Points Please




When I'm not sitting around wishing I was a cool hacker informant like this guy (who subsequently is in a lot of trouble for being kind of irresponsible, wreckless and generally kind of a jerk for no reason), and I'm taking a break from practicing how to sing my name in that perfect way (a la Jason Derulo, known more as Jayyyysoon Da-Ruuulllooo), I'm busy being obsessed about thinking how my generation has affected the current ecosystem that we now enjoy in this "society". I also like randomly putting things in quotes because it makes everything I write seem more provocative. Follow "me" on this. 

In a topic that is particularly close to my heart since I spend almost my entire life in hotels and planes, the New York Times recently published an article on how the hotel industry is trying to cater to the growing market of millenials. Although I think that I'm a little too old to be considered a millennial (Right? Can someone please publish a standard of where the "millennial generation" begins and ends please?), Millenials are expected to be a big influencer in the travel industry. American Express Business Insights (or AEBI since cool kids use "acronyms") estimates that although the baby boom generation is still shakin' it up in terms of overall spending, travel spending for younger travellers rose 20% in 2010, making them one of the fastest growing age segments. 

Hotels have introduced new lines (Starwood's Aloft line for example, an offshoot of the swanky W Hotels), and others are simply re-habbing the ones they already have. A few years ago, hotels were concerned with catering to the baby boomer generation. What did this mean? Larger work spaces, bigger beds, better lighting, more space in the rooms themselves for "accessibility". But with the new youngins' storming in, it seems that there is a perception that we prefer design over comfort, we like to have multiple options in bars/restaurants (they estimate Millenials socialize at 3-4 restaurants/bars a night when travelling) and that high-tech gadgets help us to be 'socially isolated' (aka texting someone who's in the same room as you... which I've done. Don't hate). So this is mostly true, but I just want to point out that there are probably a lot of Millenials out there that are in their first job, most likely a job at a large consulting group, where they have to travel. When they travel, yes, they're going to want to eat out and probably have a couple drinks.
But I beg you hotel chains, for the sake of all that is holy, please don't take away my work space. I know you'll be putting in more power outlets for my 1800 gadgets that I bring with me (it'd be helpful if you could install more of those USB wall chargers too, thanks!) but if you take away my workspace, every night will be like living at the W. For those of you who don't really know what that entails, it means you enter a room that looks like a Trekkie's wet dream. You stumble around and hit your shins on various low-hanging, uber-cool, spotless white furniture for five to ten minutes until you find the light switch, and then you throw your stuff all over the high tech room and pull out your laptop, your 18 power cords and get to work. By "get to work" I mean that you sit in a dimly lit room, with approximately 1-2 square feet of desk space. You'll never find the lamp switch on the first try (I've had frustrated nights where I finally give up and call the front desk. Silly me, I didn't look on the bottom of the black lamp for a tiny press button that is also black), so you fumble around some more and then you spend the next 3-4 hours working from your hotel room being angry that your laptop and papers can't fit on your desk at the same time. On the upside, the food is always pretty good at the W. 

So on behalf of all the poor consultants that travel 3-4 days a week ( a 4-1 or 5-0 in industry terms, which means you fly Monday-Thursday or Monday-Friday), please don't take away form for pure design purposes. A big desk space where I can lay out all of my stuff is really the highlight of my hotel room.
On one last note, I just want to say that Sabu (the internet hacker guy) also released grand declarations before he was caught. And I find this one particularly apt because I think it could easily be applied to the way consultants think about themselves-- it is the perfect mixture of narcissistic egotism, sprinkled with a little bit of doesn't-actually-make -sense, with a dash of over-exaggeration and melodrama and finished off with a lot of God complex. It's perfect.

"Give us liberty or give us death-- and there's billions of us around the world. You can't stop us. Because without us you won't exist."

No comments:

Post a Comment