Thursday, March 22, 2012

Good Things That Sound Bad-- MOOCs: Not Diseases




I came across an interesting link the other day around "MOOCs". Think Khan Academy on 'roids. I'm embarrassed to say that when I was reading this article, I was excited in quite possibly the nerdiest way possible-- complete with shaky hands and semi hyperventilating-type breathing (this is how us nerds show excitement, apparently, since it's kind of unacceptable to throw papers up in the air and frankly hard to do when you're buried under old D&D cards, articles about the new Avengers vs. X-Men comic release and your friends on the WoW chat set won't stop harassing you). But I digress. 

MOOC stands for "Massive Online Open Courses" and has been catching like a fever (for which the only cure is more cowbell) across the country. All the big names are in on it-- Stanford, MIT and the Georgia Institute of Technology. But there are also a lot of new players-- with fun start-up-y names like Udemy, Udacity and Change11. Some are proprietary (Change11 for example is the in-house sourcer for GIT's classes). The concept seems almost too good to be true. Stanford, for example, hosted a class called "Building a Search Engine", but unlike normal online courses that are usually a scam, and taught by the guy that looks suspiciously like the homeless guy on your corner that talks to half-eaten hamburgers like they were his lost puppy called "Toto", these classes are taught by some super impressive people. (Though, I guess that any guy who can have a 10 minute conversation with a half-eaten hamburger, thinking it's his long- lost pet and then eat it, is also kind of impressive. I shouldn't even attempt to define what is impressive and what is not... who am I to decide?!)  So, in my opinion, impressive people. You know, people like Sebastian Thrun and David Evans-- a Google fellow and a professor on leave from the University of Virginia.
Hosted by Udacity, a for-profit startup who is hosting the course, this course opened for registration on January 23rd. Since then, more than 90,000 students have enrolled in this course. I'm sure that some people are interested in learning how to build a search engine, but I bet they really just want to know more about creating a self driving car...which, oh wait, Mr. Thrun developed while he was at Google. (Again, not trying to push my beliefs on what's impressive here... I'm just saying.)

I for one, tried out some classes at MIT's OCW (Open Courseware, which is soon going to become MITx), most notably the "Global Strategy and Organization" and it was actually pretty easy to use. Some of the courses come with just lecture notes and assignments (sometimes with solutions and sometimes without) and others come with lecture notes, assignments and an audio/video component. I also tried "Creating 'Breakthrough' Products and Services", which had an audio/video component, and I found that it was much easier to get into, if a little annoying to keep going back to the audio/video stuff posted online.

This new method of learning is super exciting to me for several reasons. A.) Now I can pretend to be smart and educated like all those other kids who got into smart schools like MIT and Stanford, B.) There's a whole new world of opportunity now for people who want to be pretentious and say they went to Stanford when what they really meant to say was "Stanford online courses" and that possibility makes me wish that I went on blind dates and finally, C.) I really like the idea that by creating these massive courses, we as a society are making a strong movement in levelling the educational playing field (I can't really preach here, because I went to Notre Dame, but I have to be honest that if it weren't for a scholarship, I would never have been able to afford higher education). For a really long time, it has always been an equation of more money=good education, no money= community college if you're lucky, and with the emergence of this type of learning system, we could really be on the brink of changing that equation for good. If people are more educated, we could begin to see a big change in social mobility, which would lead to more perspectives at the higher levels of business and technology, which I think is probably pretty critical to making innovation happen. On the flip side, when we realize that education should really be measured more qualitatively than quantitatively, I think the inflation of tuition will decrease and less emphasis will be placed on the big brand names when hiring. Fast Company has already noticed that this may be happening with gaming company IGN, who has begun to look outside of the major coding hubs for their next generation of game developers. Just sayin'. So yay for us. Go team!

No comments:

Post a Comment