Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The GoogleBox? The PSG?



I like to know things. I read a lot of magazines. I wonder a lot about just things that I see in my every day life-- they usually range from the "I wonder what the fiscal cliff is going to do to my portfolio this time around?" to the "If you wanted to design Pictionary for cats, how would that work?". So I'm not saying it's all gold people, I'm just saying it happens. And of course, my curiosity definitely bleeds into my personal life in the sense that I like to think that I care a lot about my friends and family-- I try to memorize birthdays, know preferences (loves avocado, hates olives, loves their boyfriend, hates their girlfriend, etc.) and life characteristics (wants to be single forever, regrets breaking up, wants to get married, heavy McDonald's eater after 2AM--yes this is a life characteristic people). All of these things make me a better person to be around I think, because I can use these facts to make sure I can make you happy. So that makes sense. Companies do this too. However, my curiosity can't hold a candle to what Google knows and wants to know about you. But despite all of their best intentions, I don't know if they're really using the right methods to get to that information.

I read a really interesting analysis of the new (rumored) Google gaming system the other day at SeekingAlpha (Don't Do It Google!) and I have to admit I'm fascinated. With all of the money that Google has been investing into gathering information on its customers (and then turning around and selling that data) they've seem to have migrated into the business of "do whatever it takes to get more customer data" so that they can sell their ads, etc.

When they used this strategy (early on, might I add, before any of us really realized how valuable this would be) and made maps so that essentially they could begin to see all the location data that was flowing through the system and be able to partner it with reviews, check ins, and then (an attempted) integration with their fledgling social media platform, Google+, that made sense. Why not collect more information about where people are? You're already collecting information on what they are interested in (search), who they hang out with  (Google+), what they like (reviews through Google Maps) and who they go with (check ins). Then they decided that maybe communications was this deal, but the short life of Google Wave put the kibosh on that. That was fine though because they had Google Hangouts, so all was well again. They also began offering Google Drive, so that now, while they couldn't see what exactly you were doing/sending, they could see the frequency of your doing/sending and the size of the things you were doing/sending. So that hedges their bets for storage, in case they need any information in the future on the average person's usage of storage or if they decide to apply that information to enterprise initiatives and offerings that they currently have.

But then they began investing into gaming. That makes sense, to an extent. Why wouldn't they want to know what people do for fun? Besides, there's some money to be made in gaming, especially casual gaming, which is a growing niche of gamers (much to my sadness, because that means I won't have anyone to play Champions of Norrath or Ultimate Alliance with-- Who will be the Captain America to my Storm?)(Yes, I play as storm. Yes I realize this is a wrong life choice. Yes I die all the time. But I do it anyway. Because I have loved storm since childhood.). However, to build your own gaming console is a totally different story. UNLESS....

Ninny's Rules for Building a Super-Awesome Gaming Console If You're Google

  • Social Playing-- Duh. Just steal this from Microsoft's Xbox. Not only could it potentially bring in subscription money, but it gives you more social data. There have been whole studies around social behavior that have been modeled through games (They've used WoW to model the financial impact of TARP on American society. True story.)
  • Allow for an Open Development Environment -- Basically, do what you always do. Make it open, encourage developers to make stuff on it. Buy/take the cream of the crop. Monetize. Repeat until you can dive around in Scrooge McDuck mountains of money. 
  • Allow for Some Free Games -- No one else is really doing this right now because its pricey. Sure we get some free levels on Candy Crush Saga, but it still follows the "freemium" model. Google has the money to make completely free games and give them away, so why not? Worst case scenario is that you get people like my mom who will casually (i.e. maniacally, obsessively) play them when their kids aren't around. It's a gateway game my friend-- give them something free first as a gesture of goodwill and maybe you can trick them into giving you stuff you want (money, data) later. Take a note from the pilgrims.
  • Make It Simple -- Walk a fine line here though. Too little functionality makes real gamers mad that it's not exactly like their PS3 or XBox. Too much functionality make the Wii-heads get frustrated. Give it a range of games, but make the UI simple. That means: limit all the random streaming stuff that you want to give me as a default, but also allow me to download Netflix and Hulu on there if I want.
  • Figure Out Your Partnerships -- Consoles aren't just consoles anymore. So give me something to entertain myself with. Netflix? Hulu? HBO or Starz? That would be awesome. A partnership to stream old episodes of my favorite network shows by partnering with my cable company or network? Even better. Say goodbye DVR, Google just ate your lunch. 
  • Don't Forget About Security-- I'm sick of all these security leaks. Google's come under a lot of fire because security is a natural trade off for something that's super open. Let's not make that mistake with this device because I might want to put my entire life through it.
Ultimately, Google's console has the potential to be a lot of different things, but above all, a portal to all of the media that we currently enjoy in our homes. They certainly have enough information about me to make it customized to my needs. Now they just need to go-- be awesome. Call me Ororo.

No comments:

Post a Comment