Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Mobile Life



Any good consultant knows that one of the hardest things about your job is explaining to your friends and family what you do for a living. My mom, for example, thinks that I do IT help-desk type stuff. What are you going to do? As soon as you get into explaining how you "implement/deploy/operationalize" something so that "you can achieve operational alignment across stakeholders/determine the go-forward plan/ move forward with the socialization plan" I feel like any sane person would probably glaze over...Nowadays I just say that I "help companies with their problems" and unless the person I'm talking to has at least some rudimentary understanding of technology (as I do) then I usually just leave it at that.

However, let me also be honest when I say that I love it when my job magically intersects with things that I am genuinely interested in outside of work. One of the things that I'm not secretly really into is mobile stuff- in general. So I'm sure that you'll see lots of posts up here about where I think that mobile might take us or interesting things that I've read in the news. One of the biggest questions in the mobile-related industry right now is "Who's Going to Be the Future Leaders of Mobile? Apple? Android?".

Some people accuse me of being an Apple-hater. That's not actually true. I'm just, as a customer, really hesitant to invest into Apple products because I know that the products I would buy wouldn't work with any of my other existing electronics. Big drag. Especially since I kind of missed the boat when the first iPod/iPhone/iPad came out, I'm now so deeply entrenched in my existing stuff that the initial hurdle of migrating all my stuff is too annoying for me to do. I will say though that Apple has really revolutionized the way people interact with their phones- they added a touch screen, a gyroscope, made the camera mainstream and made companies see the value of making technology as "customer friendly"/intuitive as possible (read: big buttons, bright colors, step by step walkthroughs, etc.).

I think that the main drivers in the future will be three-fold: consumer adoption, enterprise adoption and functionality (which is typically driven by having the "next big thing"- often driven by app developers). I think it's safe to say that both parties have consumer adoption down, and are at about the same place with enterprise adoption (iPhone is slightly ahead since it has been around longer), so the real clincher will really be around app development. Stay tuned... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment