Thursday, February 9, 2012

When Am I?



Sometimes, we forget that we live in a world that is ever-evolving. Especially if you are part of the Facebook generation, it's sometimes really difficult to comprehend that sometimes, your expectations for what the world should be are very different than what the world actually is.

I was reminded of this today when I came across an article in The Economist entitled "Making Ting Tong Cool". If you missed the fiasco that was Alexandra Wallace, an undergrad at UCLA, making fun of Asian students in quite possibly the most insensitive way possible ("I mean, I know there's been a tsunami or something, but talk on your cell phone somewhere else!") you can look at it now, or enjoy one of the many hilarious parodies. I particularly like this one best... ("Ching chong.. it means I love you..."? Who can't like that?)

The point I'm trying is that... in order to get along in this big crazy world of ours, we probably should keep in mind that just because we've maybe not progressed as far as we would've liked, we have to be patient, or else we'll never get there. And although the olden days are filled of nostalgia of land lines, pre- Jersey Shore peace and when planking wasn't a thing, there are some things I could do without.

Oh, and for Ms. Wallace? There are (at last count) 695 undergraduates from China at UCLA. This is five times more than two years ago, and they represent a full 3% of the student body. Even The Economist is making fun of her now-- the caption for the picture above? "Annoying Ms. Wallace".

No comments:

Post a Comment