Sunday, April 3, 2011

Letter to You

Due to me disappointing myself recently, I wrote myself a letter before my weekend trip to the west coast. (I do this sometimes when I feel like I need to put things in perspective.) When I re-read it before saving it away (I pull them out later when I need a reminder, a little motivation or inspiration), I realized that I wished someone had said a lot of these things to me earlier. So I tweaked it a little bit and am now sending this letter out there to whomever might need it.

Dear You,

I know life has been a bit rough lately. Things may seem really unfair, and you can play the victim all you want, but let's just agree that this is the hardest way to confirm that you really are responsible for your actions. You are the only one responsible. For all of your actions. 

You may think that this is the end of the line- but let me again give you some tough love. It's not. Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on your current mood) the world will keep spinning tomorrow even though you can't fathom how that possibly can be true. People (you included) will still go to work, or school or do whatever it is that they fill their days with. Your friends will keep growing, moving forward, evolving. Things bigger than you will happen (companies will continue progressing, countries will keep growing, things you can't control will still happen). Whether you like it or not, the world goes on. You are not special. 


Fortunately, the world will go on and you are not special. A lot of your sadness right now probably stems from you feeling like you disappointed the people that were rooting for you. Although understandable, try to keep a little bit of your ego in check, as I'm sure that your setbacks don't affect them as much as you think. If they are good friends/family, they will continue rooting for you, and this minor setback has only made them cheer for you louder.


Right now, you have a decision to make. You are a smart person and perfectly capable of changing your life for the better. Tomorrow is a brand new day and your opportunities are limitless. Think about that for a second. Your opportunities are limitless. In this very second, you can start a new hobby, start learning a new language, get on a plane and be anywhere in the world in (maximum) 16 hours. You may have fallen into a routine where you feel like a lot of things are out of your control but they aren't. You only need to accept that change can and will happen- you just need to decide whether it will happen to you or if you will drive it. I suggest the latter.


You will have other rough days. But it would be a disservice to yourself not to move past it- let it make you a stronger person. You did not work your butt off to get through college, make those grades and land your job. Even though it's good to be humbled by how small you are compared to everything that's out THERE and widen your perspective on what "life" is- it's also important to remember how impactful you can be in your life right now. So stop playing the victim. You're not special, but that doesn't mean what you do isn't important. Giving up is not an option because life goes on.


Remember that you cannot be a perfect person all of the time, but you can be a perfect type of person some of the time. So if you need to be a perfect employee today, do it. If you need to be a perfect family member MORE, do that. But BE something. Don't let things happen to you. 

                                                                 Best Regards, 

                                                                                                        -Future You

No comments:

Post a Comment