Monday, April 18, 2011

The Dalai Lama

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, said:

“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.

We're going to break it down here today  at The RY and take a breather. I have recently rolled off my mobile strategy project, and am beginning to look at my options for my next project.Three options, but with project work, we all know that in the consulting world, the number of potential projects that you can roll onto has an exponential positive correlation with your anxiety during your time period (multiplied by the amount of time they make you wait before your next project starts). Consultant math.

Out of the three projects, one's in San Diego, which could be awesome. But I don't know what my role could be. Another is on the east coast, but could have an awesome leadership role for me. One could be international with tons of visibility, but might not sell. D'oh.

So that's why we're ending up here today. Because life is short, and I need to take a couple of breaths to remind myself that there is more out there than just work. There's volleyball on the weekends, yogurt places where you can add your own fruit and people like the Dalai Lama out there. Yup. This. Is. Happening.

<Check out the funny wall>

No comments:

Post a Comment