Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mobile Keys- The Wave of the Future?



In a recent article in the NY Times ("Smartphones Could Make Keys Obsolete"), the spread of NFC seems to be heading toward our houses. With companies like Schlage and Apigy (with it's Lockitron system) entering the market hot on the heels of car companies like Mercedes and General Motors' (OnStar system), it seems like people are really beginning to embrace the idea of potentially having your phone unlock your home. The article profiled a man named Joey Mucha, who used the remote unlocking system to help with his mini-business of lending out his home for the weekends when he's out of town (airbnb.com). They also mentioned that this is being done even in the commercial space with Clarion Hotel in Stockholm being able to access their hotel rooms through a mobile key. The manager claimed that "Guests loved it".

The article did cite that this could be the wave of a future, but that there are still some hurdles to get over (What if your phone dies? How can people authenticate that you are a person that should have access to that room? How will multiple keys work? How can they stop someone from hacking in and creating a single super key?). Personally, I would need to see a lot more evidence that there is a compelling reason for me to switch from my current hotel key to a mobile key. I am more than happy to do mobile banking or make mobile payments, but potentially giving access to my home to a remote company that I have no control over makes me nervous. I think it's because in mobile payments or banking, you're usually only inviting risk on a transactional level, where if you were to use the Lockitron, Apigy maintains control over your door at all times, thereby entering you into a long-term agreement with that company. (It's also not cheap- approximately $250-300 to change to a remote lock.)

I'm still going to need additional proof that it's a.) more convenient or b.) safer somehow for me to use a mobile lock. (Will they also install some sort of security system with the lock? Can they give me any guarantees that someone can't hack into my phone and get my key? What am I supposed to do if someone steals/I lose my phone?)

This might be a good "bright and shiny" functionality for hotels, since people don't usually carry very many [valuable?] items with them when traveling and aren't in a single room for very long, but even then, I would need to see proof that it's more convenient than my little plastic key that I have now.

No comments:

Post a Comment